Dirty Shiny Pretty

Musings on Dirty Shiny Pretty Life

Aug 25, 2011

School, school, don't be late...

Summer has flown by and B has started school again. She's in the first grade, an official elementary school student, and she couldn't be more excited. As she's my only child the whole school thing has been a learning experience for me as well. I went to private school my whole life and I'm new to the public school system and how it works. Having recently watched and cried my way through Waiting for Superman I'm very worried about her academic future, but extremely thankful for the quality of our local school. I love that we can walk to school and friends are in the neighborhood. I'm lucky that our school is highly rated and the faculty and staff are greatly involved in the success of the children. I'm upset by all the furlough days and every Wednesday being a half day. Lastly, I'm confused by these combo classes. B's in a 1st/2nd combo class which I've been told means she's one of the top performers in her class, but I'm still not sold on the idea. If it's the top 1st graders and bottom 2nd graders will the teacher really be able to keep the class engaged and everyone on track for the next year? I would love to know if anyone else has had experience with this.

Summer 2011 Memories
Walks on the beach
Visits with Auntie
1st dance with a boy
Eating original balboa bars on the boardwalk
Frozen yogurt on hot days

Beautiful beach days
Friends' weddings
Ballet Recital
Exploring tide pools
Kickin it poolside
Mini vacation to Coronado

1 comment:

  1. Your daughter is adorable! And I remember I also really appreciated the fact that I could walk to school when I attended my first school. It was a treat, especially during the summer time!

    ReplyDelete