Dirty Shiny Pretty

Musings on Dirty Shiny Pretty Life

May 6, 2011

Cinco de Mayo

     Cinco de Mayo is over and my plan to share a delicious recipe to include in your dinner tonight has failed. Oh well. I'm posting the recipe anyway because it is simple and delicious and you really don't need a holiday to enjoy it.
     This is a recipe for Mexican Red Rice. Yes, Mexican, not Spanish. I have been enjoying this rice my whole life and I plan to keep enjoying it until I can no longer chew solid food. Ironically it comes via my mom, la gringa. It's supremacy over my Grammie's recipe was hard for my dad's family to admit at first because doing so was almost a betrayal of their mother and her amazing talent in the kitchen. Then they got over it because as we all know if food is good, it's good, no matter who makes it. So enjoy this super simple recipe and share it with your friends/family because food always tastes better when prepared with love.  

Mexican Red Rice
8-10 servings

From Mexican Family Cooking 
by Aida Gabilondo
(Highly recommend this cookbook for multiple great recipes)

1/4 c oil
2 c long grain rice
4 c chicken stock
3 garlic cloves, mashed
1/2 onion in thick slices
1/2 c canned tomato sauce
Salt and pepper
1 cup frozen peas and carrots, parboiled in salted water 1 minute and drained (I just cook them in the microwave)

     Heat oil in deep saucepan and saute the rice until golden. Add chicken stock, garlic, onion, and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; lower the heat, cover, and cook until almost all liquid has been absorbed. Uncover, fold in the peas and carrots carefully, cover again, and cook until all liquid has been absorbed.
     Serve with some carne asada or just eat it straight out of the pot by itself. Trust me you'll want to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment