Dirty Shiny Pretty

Musings on Dirty Shiny Pretty Life

Apr 15, 2010

The Top 5 Reasons I love Orange County

5. Family Friendly
Yes, I know, I should just go throw on some mom jeans and hop in a mini van, but I can't help it. I like that we live within walking distance of several parks, playgrounds, and schools and that families really enjoy spending time outside so there are always kids for my daughter.

4. Diversity
I might live in the suburbs but it's not white bread Main Street USA. My neighbors come from all walks of life from all over the world, even B's Pre-K looks like a mini United Nations. I love that she is getting to learn about so many different cultures through her friends and is experiencing first hand the uniqueness of humankind at such an early age. It doesn't hurt that I can find a great tamale, tikka masala, or tuna roll within in a 10 minute drive either.

3. Climate
I don't just love the weather of So Cal I love the climate. I've lived on the East Coast and in Europe and no matter how much I loved the cities I could never deny I was a Cali girl at heart. How could I shun the mild, but diverse, weather and dry heat in favor of face freezing wind and clothes soaking humidity? It's impossible.

2. Natural Beauty
I don't particularly find OC architecturally beautiful. There are definitely some amazing buildings hidden amongst the jumble of sub-divisions and boring tract housing but they are few and far between. This doesn't matter though because the natural beauty of the area constantly blows me away. Spring is my favorite season here because thousands of wild flowers are in bloom and the hills and canyons are covered in hundreds of shades of green, purple, pink, yellow, and orange. Wouldn't it be great if I actually included an image of this instead of just talked about it? I've made the mental note to take pics of the flowers before they die, oh, about 100 times but because I'm camera repellent I never remember to actually take my camera out of my house to accomplish this. Really someone call me as I'm walking out the door so I can finally do this!

1. Location, Location, Location
You really can't beat the prime location of the OC. An hour to LA, an hour to SD, an hour to the mountains, 40 minutes to the desert, and 20 minutes to the beach. I live in the suburbs but they edge canyons and meadows. I can be in the middle of it all or as far removed as possible in the blink of an eye. I really am very blessed to live in such a great area.

No comments:

Post a Comment